From Thomas Wrobel <darkfl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NodeJS for Sever-Side Wave Code
Date Thu, 30 May 2013 17:08:54 GMT
Is there any suggested way to organize volunteers?

I know the current method is basically a "todo" list isnt it? which is fine
in itself.
But possibly having a list of commiters together with notes of their
skillset could also help.

I can, for example do the following;

* client side GWT coding.
* Android/Java coding
* php
* 3d graphics and animations (possibly to help presentations/diagrams)
* film editing
* html

I haven't a clue when/if any of these things would be usefull - but I
wouldn't mind being put on a list for anyone to contact if Wave related
help is needed in those areas.

> Forget node.js or any other "world-changer-wannabe" frameworks. As Michael
> states, most developers don't understand (or are even scared of) this
> project architecture/structure. Fixing this would be a great start!

+1

> I tried to contribute to Wiab, a pretty simple UI modification, and I found
> myself lost in the code a few hours, nagging poor yuri with questions,
> before I could do anything simple (being new to modern web development,
> gwt, etc was of no help either).

+1
I also tried to do the same thing. Despite being very familiar with both
Java and GWT, and a few web-apps behind me, I still struggled.

I haven't seen the codebase in almost a year now, however.

Would it benefit from some very simple first steps....like better
commenting? removing redundant/legacy stuff?

If separating the client is a step too big for anyone to commit too right
now, there might still be more basic messures to help move the existing
codebase to something easier to deal with.