From Ali Lown <...@lown.me.uk>
Subject Re: Wave Extensions Gallery integration
Date Wed, 01 May 2013 11:17:21 GMT
> It is possible to search for only gadgets.  Just append “type:gadget” to
> the query.  I will add a note to the documentation about advanced search
> keywords.  Is there a reason you see why that should be available as a URL
> parameter as well, or is the method I listed above acceptable?

Ok. I don't think it makes any difference whether it is a search
keyword or a URL parameter. I requested it because I didn't see any
mention of any search keywords.

> I see advantages to both options for how WIAB should handle the gadgets
> list, but I think it is important for wave clients to be able to make API
> calls directly since not every wave client will necessarily be as tightly
> connected to a server as WIAB is.

A pure client-side implementation can be found on my github currently:
https://github.com/alown/wave/commit/0cdf070c52def0e711991ff1a5d2249703931751
This is a quick hack, as opposed to a tidy patch suitable for review,
but you can see what I have done to make it work.

A few notes:
- The list api is _very_ slow, it seems to frequently take 10 seconds
to fetch the list of gadgets, but the search api is 'instant' enough
to not be a problem. (Why is this?)
- The current gadget data includes primary and secondary categories.
Can you make this information available over the api? (Assuming you
have it?)
- How should the up/down votes be presented in the UI?
- Should I remove the bits of code related to the gadget json serving
(since they would no longer be relevant?)
- Adding any of the gadgets currently results in a 'Port error: Could
not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.' message from
Chrome 27, but seems to work fine in Firefox 19.0.2.

Ali