From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Code Organization
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2012 14:57:15 GMT
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Michael MacFadden
<michael.macfadden@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I agree eventually we will put this into the package.html.  Hopefully as we get
the maven build working we will be building the javadocs as well.

I will try to read the wave-dev list more accurate now. I have made
some huge maven stuff recently and the pain I felt might be of help to
wave. Probably I can contribute a patch or two, if I read of problems
on the ml.

> In terms of logging, this struck me as add also.  On thing to remember though, is that
a lot of the code is compiled by GWT into javascript code.  So code that is common between
the server and the client, can only make use of libraries that are available on the client
side.  Log4J is not available in the browser.  So it looks like a simplified logging mechanism
was added that would work in both cases.

Oh, i see. One more question: it seems to me that GWT is heavily tied
to the Server code. Is it such a good idea, or would it be better to
care of the server as more or less independent project? If things are
mixed too much, it may do some trouble. I have not looked at the
logging code, but because of my work at Apache Logging i have learned
that logging is not a trivial task. It makes me a bit anxious when I
read that this code can be used on client and server side. But again,
I did not look at the code in detail.

Cheers
Christian

> ~Michael
>
> On Jun 26, 2012, at 7:43 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>
>> Interesting insight.
>>
>> I think this information should also go into package.html.
>>
>> Besides, I have two questions:
>>
>> - why isn't the apache namespace aka org.apache.wave.* used?
>> - i see much packages containing logging stuff. Why is it there? Are
>> there any special needs which requires implementing custom stuff
>> instead of using tools like log4j 2 or slf4j?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Christian
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Michael MacFadden
>> <michael.macfadden@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> In an attempt to build a sensible maven structure and to start to document our
code base, I have started working up the following table:

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de