From Thomas Broyer <t.bro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven Module for Protocol Buffers
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2012 11:04:09 GMT
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:48 AM, Michael MacFadden
<michael.macfadden@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> We are still contemplating the organization of the maven project.  Currently, the protocol
buffers are not built on every build.  It seems that you generate them once (or when you
change them) and then use the sources.  Should we keep this similar in the maven build.  We
could put the protocol buffers in a separate project that gets built, versioned and released.
 Then the other maven modules could depend on this wave protobuf jar file.  This way you
would not need to compile the protocol buffers (or even have the compiler installed) unless
you were specifically working on the protocol buffers.

> The alternative is to have the protobuf module in the main build.  The protocol buffer
source would get generated and then compiled in every build.  Everyone working on wave in
a box would need to have the protoc compile installed even if they aren't working on the protocol
buffers.  I would mention that the protobufs are already in a separate module, but the module
is currently in the main build.

> Should we separate it out as described in the first paragraph?

How about committing the generated files (at least the ones generated
by protoc) in the repo instead?
And if you want to regenerate them, then explicitly call "mvn
protoc:compile" (works out of the box, at least with Maven 3, if the
plugin is configured in the POM; simply do not bind it to a lifecycle
phase if you don't want it to be run at each build or, even better,
only declare it in the pluginManagement section).

--
Thomas Broyer
/tɔ.ma.bʁwa.je/