From Michael MacFadden <michael.macfad...@gmail.com>
Subject Maven Module for Protocol Buffers
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2012 02:48:16 GMT
All,

We are still contemplating the organization of the maven project.  Currently, the protocol
buffers are not built on every build.  It seems that you generate them once (or when you change
them) and then use the sources.  Should we keep this similar in the maven build.  We could
put the protocol buffers in a separate project that gets built, versioned and released.  Then
the other maven modules could depend on this wave protobuf jar file.  This way you would not
need to compile the protocol buffers (or even have the compiler installed) unless you were
specifically working on the protocol buffers.

The alternative is to have the protobuf module in the main build.  The protocol buffer source
would get generated and then compiled in every build.  Everyone working on wave in a box would
need to have the protoc compile installed even if they aren't working on the protocol buffers.
 I would mention that the protobufs are already in a separate module, but the module is currently
in the main build.

Should we separate it out as described in the first paragraph?

~Michael