From Paulo Pires <pjpi...@ubiwhere.com>
Subject Re: Code Organization
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2012 16:42:02 GMT

On 26/06/12 15:57, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Michael MacFadden
> <michael.macfadden@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, I agree eventually we will put this into the package.html.  Hopefully as we
get the maven build working we will be building the javadocs as well.
> I will try to read the wave-dev list more accurate now. I have made
> some huge maven stuff recently and the pain I felt might be of help to
> wave. Probably I can contribute a patch or two, if I read of problems
> on the ml.

We're working on the Maven port at http://github.com/pires/wave. Feel
free to open new issues, comment on new ones and/or provide pull-requests.

>> In terms of logging, this struck me as add also.  On thing to remember though, is
that a lot of the code is compiled by GWT into javascript code.  So code that is common between
the server and the client, can only make use of libraries that are available on the client
side.  Log4J is not available in the browser.  So it looks like a simplified logging mechanism
was added that would work in both cases.

> Oh, i see. One more question: it seems to me that GWT is heavily tied
> to the Server code. Is it such a good idea, or would it be better to
> care of the server as more or less independent project? If things are
> mixed too much, it may do some trouble. I have not looked at the
> logging code, but because of my work at Apache Logging i have learned
> that logging is not a trivial task. It makes me a bit anxious when I
> read that this code can be used on client and server side. But again,
> I did not look at the code in detail.
>
> Cheers
> Christian
>
>> ~Michael
>>
>> On Jun 26, 2012, at 7:43 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting insight.
>>>
>>> I think this information should also go into package.html.
>>>
>>> Besides, I have two questions:
>>>
>>> - why isn't the apache namespace aka org.apache.wave.* used?
>>> - i see much packages containing logging stuff. Why is it there? Are
>>> there any special needs which requires implementing custom stuff
>>> instead of using tools like log4j 2 or slf4j?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Christian

our code base, I have started working up the following table:

--
Paulo Pires