From Paulo Pires <pjpi...@ubiwhere.com>
Subject Re: Maven built WIAB running!
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 22:03:40 GMT
Welcome Svante,

I'm replying inline.

Cheers,
PP

On 06/06/12 22:49, Svante Schubert wrote:
> I am new to the list, but let me frankly state I very much do like the
> simplified infrastructure you are providing with Maven (and git)
> Version changes/tests like the update to the latest GWT are far easier.

Thank you. It's great to see that others feel my methods to be the right
approach.

> What concerns me, although it might be discussed already and I have
> overseen it:
> 1) There is a not a single test taken over. I suggest to dispatch the
> given test sources to "/src/test/" of each module

I've spotted your answer on WAVE-310 and created
https://github.com/pires/wave/issues/8
I overlooked the tests. My bad, here! But it's my next thing in the TODO
list, believe me.

> 2) When is this milestone planed to be rejoined with the main Apache
> project?

Creating some context... I called M1 to the milestone for getting WIAB
to compile with Maven and run nicely. We now know I should haven't
missed the tests :-(
Me and Michael agreed to go for a M2 milestone in which we'd focus on
simplifying the code structure and build processes along with some
goodies (JDK7 compliant, no Ant tasks embedded into POM files, etc.).
We're on a planning phase aka opening issues, to which we're inviting
you all to contribute.

Now, answering your question, I feel like when M2 is done, we all should
reunite and talk deeply about how to proceed to a review request. To be
honest, I never even thought this would ever be running for a place in
the upstream project.. I'm happy to know otherwise, nonetheless.

> 3) If GIT is finding such an attraction why not asking the
> infrastructure team to move this project over to GIT. Would ease merging
> (in the future)..

I love distributed VCSes. I love Git! I abuse of branching, merging,
stashing, the all nine yards.. it would be great to see such a project
to be moved over to Git. But bear in mind there's already a SVN mirror
with Git.

> Cheers,
> Svante
>
> On 06.06.2012 23:24, Paulo Pires wrote:
>> Ali,
>>
>> Good to hear your positive feedback on this.
>>
>> And yes, I believe we're all in sync here when we talk about separating
>> the development of the server, clients and APIs. It would be great if
>> people could only clone/checkout one of these components and get working
>> on it right away.
>>
>> Keep those ideas coming in the form of issues at the Github project,
>> https://github.com/pires/wave/issues
>>
>> Cheers,
>> PP
>>
>> On 06/06/12 22:16, Ali Lown wrote:
>>> Paulo (and Michael)
>>>
>>> This looks great. It is another step closer to making the server and
>>> client completely separate projects (which is what I feel we should be
>>> aiming for here).
>>>
>>> Ali

your code and start editing it locally.  I haven't published it anywhere.  I will do that.

is not that the GWT files are not getting added to the box jar.  They were getting added to
the jar.  The issue is that the GWT files are not supposed to be in the jar, they are expected
to be in a directory on the filesystem called "war" (or whatever is specified in the config
file).  So until we re-architect the code, adding it to the jar file won't actually help.
 Plus as you say I don't think the GWT files should actually live in the server project jar
anyway.

submodule, and then unpacking them when they are needed.  I think now I am just having a class
path issue.  i will get the code published somewhere today.

As

that pulls everything together.  I am still getting that exception.  The question I have is
how are you running the server.  The shell script has:

and edit it. Or run: 'ant -f server-config.xml' to generate the file automatically."

I wasn't starting
I had installed

project committers and
several years now
I do have protoc
could be some other

See README.md and

(no Maven cache and a new
result with a clean Linux

wrote:
> [...]
now it is not generating the
gen/messages in the old

is the last step.

MacFadden wrote:
> [...]
change the line in the pom where the
it from:

Paulo Pires wrote:

> [...]
fixes the issue you're facing.

MacFadden wrote:
> [...]
jars to you local maven repository?
the project, I get several dependencies that

PM, Paulo Pires wrote:

> [...]
is now split in modules, I believe that we
of

even extract 'webclient' stuff from 'box'

on the gwt maven plugin now

at 4:34 PM, Paulo Pires <pjpires@ubiwhere.com>

to get GWT compiled to JS and then I think I'll be

29 23:18:47 2012, Paulo Pires wrote:
> [...]
got to a state where I can run WIAB and register/log a
Anyone
to give it a try and report issues at

we reach a WIAB fully running instance with this fork,
get
to a proper upstream fix for WAVE-294.

--
Paulo Pires