From Petter Lundgren <spit_fir...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: wiab feedback
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 20:06:02 GMT

direction is much appreciated.

Best Regards
/Petter

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
From: Ali Lown
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:37 PM
To: wave-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: wiab feedback

> So we have been using WiaB for about two weeks now in our company and
> would like to give some feedback back, and hopefully you can help answer a
> few questions/concerns.
> First off, lets note its not the absolute latest checkout from svn that is
> running our server(svn says its revision 1301403 from 16th of March).
> Also, i used the default server-config.xml from that time (with the
> exception of course that we use our external ip as
> “http_frontend_public_address” and our local ip as
> “http_frontend_addresses”. Not entirely sure of the difference between
> these two options, but that was the only setup that worked for us, if we
> wanted to access the wave both on our local network and from the outside.
> Otherwise we got a socket bind error, address already in use. Is this
> expected, or is there a misconfiguration on our part?)

This sounds correct.

> Our main concerns is stability, every 2 days or so (sometimes shorter), we
> have to restart the server. The login page comes up fine but after you
> login it just sits there unable to retrieve any waves at all, it just sits
> there trying to load infinitely. After a restart, it works once again as
> expected. One time after a server restart though, we lost all waves &
> messages since the last server restart. (When shutting down the server, i
> merely Ctrl+C in the terminal, is there a way to do a more “graceful”
> shutdown/restart?) From looking around i also see there is MongoDB as a
> storage option, would this help in any way? Or is ordinary file storage
> sufficient?

Sending a SIGTERM is the only way to shut it down ATM, though this can
sometimes lead to lost data when the server has 'crashed' during use.
I schedule my server to restart every-right at 3am local time. Which
results in a bit more stable experience.
IIRC MongoDB persistence was only for user data. Deltas could only be
stored in files (correct me if I am wrong...)

> Every now and then (usually when there are more people active/writing at
> the same time it seems) waves seems to stop being updated for one person
> and he has to logout/login again to see the other users updates. I don't
> know if this is related at all, but at times the terminal seems to get
> spammed with warning: “websocket is not connected”

Sounds like issues WAVE-305, WAVE-312, WAVE-315. Try changing the
number of listener_executor_thread_count to 1 in server.config and
some of the other 'fixes' listed in those issues.

> Minor Issues:
> Every now and then other users posts shows up posted or edited on “Jan 1
> 1970”, but gets updated/corrected after some time.

This occurs when someone watches the wave updating live. Re-opening
the wave always fixes this dates issue, since it is simply because the
deltas sent out to other clients don't contain the timestamp, but the
loaded snapshots do.

> Not sure if this is something Wiab can do something about, but when you
> post an attachment when connecting from our external ip, local users cant
> click it directly but have to manually copy the link and change the
> address to use the local ip to be able to download the attachment (same
> thing the other way around too admittedly)

So the issue here is that the wrong ip gets used?
Why do you need to be able to access it from both IPs, can the
external one not be used from inside the network?

> Also is there any way to delete/archive an empty wave or any wave for that
> matter?

Not yet, that is planned.

Ali