From "Adrian Cochrane" <>
Subject Wave Protocols
Date Sat, 30 Apr 2011 04:51:49 GMT
Hello WiAB,

As a separate server project manager, I have some ideas (not for version
1.0) and questions on Wave protocols.

Firstly, I am not clear how deltas are sent in the Federation Protocol
(assuming, as I very much hope, it makes it into 1.0). Can someone
clarify how those deltas are formatted.

Secondly, when I looked over Google's tutorials for the Simple Data
Protocol and gadgets, it struck me that they could better accommodate
offline clients, and the Wave This and embedding APIs were highly
centralized. So I've designed a plain TCP/IP alternative to Simple Data
Protocol using the same concepts, a simpler standard for Gadgets (which
does not need browser integration), and a URL scheme (which I think is
similar to yours) for embedding. Not wanting these to be proprietary, I
will share them if I get some interest.

Again I am not proposing for release 1.0. I must also say I do not seek
to insult these protocols with what I said, because they are superb and
everything can be improved.

Thirdly, I think that there should be a better place to discuss
protocols, and read up on them, which ideally would be decentralized
just like IETF and W3C. Again this is no ones fault for not needing it
at the point, but if there's me and you, it'll be great to have a
standards organization to encourage others.

-- - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
                          love email again

View raw message