From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: web site resources?
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 22:19:10 GMT

> Bruce Snyder wrote:
>

> > I have a very simple analogy that I tend to live by as to why I
> > personally prefer to only check in the source of a generated website
> > and that is: In a Java project, class and jar files don't get checked
> > in so why should the end product of the website be any different?
>
> Because as a project, we have the obligation to be responsible and
> provide oversight.
>
> With official releases of code, there is a lot of oversight.  There is a
> vote.  There are people building and testing.  There is chatter about it
> on the mailing list.  It's public and visible.
>
> The website is also something that is in effect an official "release" or
> "publication" of the project.  It should contain our policies, our
> statements about issues, our documentation, etc.  IMO, we need the same
> way to have demonstrable, effective oversight.

I don't disagree at all - I see the website as the pinnacle of
information for a project that should have it's own release schedule
and development. Unfortunately we don't have that with Geronimo, but
that's neither here nor there. It's my belief that sufficient
oversight lies in the hands of contributors rather than in the
generated website being checked in or not.

Bruce
);'

Apache Geronimo (http://geronimo.apache.org/)