From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: back from hols...
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:40:16 GMT
Bill Dudney wrote:

> Hi Jules,
>
> On Jan 3, 2006, at 9:00 AM, Jules Gosnell wrote:
>
>> Jeff Genender wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jules, and welcome back...
>>>
>>> I think Geronimo integration needs some open discussion.  I think
>>> there
>>> is general consensus of a wadi configuration and a common
>>> geronimo-web.xml integration.  I think there is significant  discussion
>>> on gbean-izing the Spring configuration for Geronimo.
>>>
>> yes, but I am not keen on making any further changes until what we
>> currently have works.
>>
>> I am working on making it work.
>>
>> I will report back to the list when I have results.
>>
>> After that, I will be open to debate on how we go forward.
>>
>>> We also need to discuss the steps for moving the code base.
>>>
>> well, I guess we have delegated that decision to the incubator  folks
>> now...
>>

> Not entirely - if we choose to leave the history on codehaus there is
> no debate, no need to involve the incubator folks just fix wadi in
> the apache svn. Perhaps we could carry this discussion over to the
> cvs history thread?

I've been quite clear about why I want to take the projects history.

Frankly, I really can't understand why you guys are giving me such a
hard time about it. It is a perfectly reasonable requirement.

If you want to contribute to the thread on incubator general, jump in. I
am not going to bother discussing it here until they make a call as this
will invalidate half of the discussion that we might be having. I am
moving my discussion to their list.

>>>  Bill has
>>> already done some significant work, along with working with the  Active
>>> Cluster guys and submitting patches, etc.  We need to somehow  merge
>>> from
>>> what Bill has done in Apache with the Codehaus stuff.
>>

>> Thanks Bill,
>>
>> Why don't we just leave it to Bill to check it in to codehaus ?
>>
>> Bill - are there any issues ?
>

> Yes - the biggest being that changes have already been checked into
> the apache SVN particularly the m2 directory reworking which prevent
> the easy migration back to CVS. There are others but they are much
> more easily overcome. Again we should probably move this discussion
> over to the cvs history thread as there are several issues we need to
> nail down.

I just did an svn update and a diff and did not see anything that would
pose significant difficulty. If you like, I will backport the changes.

>> If we are talking AMQ4, then, I guess we will need a new module -  as
>> until Geronimo moves onto AMQ4, we will have to support both 3  and
>> 4. I was already preparing to split out AMQ3 into another  module
>> anyway...
>>

> Its more than simply an AMQ module (one for 3 and one for 4) there
> are differences between ActiveCluster too between 1.2 and 1.3.

well, then I guess you do not have it checked in.

I think you should mothball your changes and wait for the migration to
complete. When it is done, we can figure out what needs doing and
benefit from our use of svn when moving files around into new modules.
If mothballing does not sound attractive, then we will need to discuss
how we restructure stuff in codehaus to get your changes in before the
migration.

> I don't see an easy way to an AMQ module. There are no interfaces
> between WADI and AMQ to allow that. Perhaps we could rework to be on
> ActiveCluster api's only but I still see that as a significant amount
> of work. If I'm wrong please elaborate.

Without looking at diffs between the two AC releases I cannot tell. My
understanding was that AC had rolled back the Destination->String
change, so I would not expect there to be any changes making one version
incompatible with the other, but, obviously, I have to reserve judgement
until I have taken a look. If you want to post details of the
incompatibilities that would speed things up.

>>> It would appear
>>> that most of this stuff will merge since you worked on the scripts  and
>>> doc, and he worked on the code.  The sooner we get this done, the  less
>>> of a chance of some real issues.  I hope this can be a top  priority
>>> for
>>> the team.
>>>

>>> Bill has also done a great job of getting a significant portion of  the
>>> incubator site moved over from codehaus.  I think the new one looks
>>> great and we should talk about when it will become official.  You can
>>> view the site here: http://incubator.apache.org/wadi
>>>
>> Thanks again to Bill.
>>
>>> Lets please address the code and site movement as we all agreed
>>> previous
>>> to the holidays.  The longer we delay this, the more difficult this
>>> process will be.
>>>

>> Code movement is waiting on the incubator list.
>>
>> I don't see much point in moving the website until the code is
>> moved, since the website is generated from the code and is full of
>> references to e.g. mailing lists, code repos etc.
>>
>> Has there been any movement on importing mailing list archives ? I
>> see this as an important step in completing the xfer of the mailing
>> lists.
>>

> I thought we had decided that we'd point to legacy archives and get
> the apache lists archived as well? Did I miss something?

another misunderstanding then - I understood that importing mail
archives was not considered an issue - is it ?

Jules

> TTFN,
>

> Bill Dudney
> MyFaces - myfaces.apache.org
> Wadi - incubator.apache.org/wadi
>

>> Jules
>>

>>> Thanks and we look forward to getting this incubator project running
>>> full speed ahead.
>>>
>>> Jeff

>> --
>> "Open Source is a self-assembling organism. You dangle a piece of
>> string into a super-saturated solution and a whole operating-system
>> crystallises out around it."
>>
>> /**********************************
>> * Jules Gosnell
>> * Partner