From Bill Dudney <bdud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: web site resources?
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:27:21 GMT
On Dec 23, 2005, at 9:42 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2005, at 9:42 AM, Bill Dudney wrote:
>
>> Thanks Geir,
>>
>> On Dec 23, 2005, at 7:16 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> yes, and you aren't going to like it :)
>>>

>> Your kidding right? I love pain :-)
>>
>>> What does the maven2 generated site look like now?
>>>

>> A broken version is currently on codehaus (wadi.codehaus.org).
>>
>>> I was just reading this list to propose an alternative, as simple
>>> xdoc oriented site that I've used successfully in geronimo,
>>> harmony, jdo and agila lately.  Very simple.
>>>

>> The agila site looks fine. But we have burned a lot of cycles on
>> getting javadoc, clover, jxr, etc etc etc integrated into our
>> maven build. I'd hate for all that to go to waste.
>>

> Fair enough.  So how does one add to and regen the maven2 site?

'mvn site' will regen the site 'mvn site:deploy' will push a new copy.

>>> But if there's already a pile of maven generated cruft, why not.
>>>

>> Agreed the output of maven is crufty, what alternative is there to
>> getting a whole site generated, with clover, javadoc etc?
>
> I can't find the clover stuff on the website.  are people clamoring
> to have it there, or is it more useful for people when working
> lcoally?
>
> As for javadoc, I think that's a horrorshow to put in svn.  the WS
> project recently did that, resulting in hosing the poor ASf mail
> system as it tried to cope with what was effectively a 7G mailbomb
> as generated by the svn diffs into email

clover is not deployed yet but its at least as big as javadoc so I
don't want it in SVN. Good point thought that its probably better
left as a local only report.

What does everyone else think?

>>> And yes, it's good to just check in the artifacts and do a svn co
>>> on the webserver.
>>>

>> Check in the maven generated cruft? or the source xdoc documents
>> and generate then publish?
>>

> check in all generated crap you want on the site.  That makes it
> easy for someone to check it out and look at it locally w/o having
> to figure out how to generate it.  At least for docs and such, this
> is helpful.
>
> my 0.02

perhaps I'm misunderstanding - my initial question was 'do we have to
have our site in SVN'. Should I infer from this that we do have to
put our generated stuff into SVN?

Thanks again,