From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] Re: [long but important] importing cvs history
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:03:31 GMT
On 12/27/05, Bill Dudney <bdudney@apache.org> wrote:

> I have no problem with you taking on this piece.
>
> I think its better to perform the (pre-migration) changes you suggest
> in SVN though for a several reasons;
> -- History - as you move packages around you will loose history in CVS
> -- Maven 2 Changes - as the changes are redone to get us back on the
> m2 standard layout you will loose more history
> -- Team - the rest of the team is ready to help but having this two
> repository story is slowing/stopping everyone - we need a resolution
> asap
> -- Changes - The existing changes (m2 & amq4) against the code base
> are going to be lost the sooner we can get the changes redone the
> sooner we can start to validate the changes in amq4 against the
> peer:// protocol.
>
> I think Bruce can get the migration of CVS history over to a new SVN
> repo on Apache in short order. Why don't we let him do that so that
> you will not loose any more history.
>
> Bruce - I have the history of changes that I did against the Apache
> SVN so deleting the Apache SVN and building a new one containing the
> history would be fine.
>
> Thanks for the pointer to the thread on general@incubator from what
> I've read (as you suggested) its OK to import (L)GPL related code so
> we should probably just do it.
>
> This is more or less approach 2 outlined in my original message
> (except for additional changes against CVS on codehaus). I would like
> for us to get started on the move to using only Apache SVN asap.
>
> So I propose that we move the code and history over now with Jules at
> the helm and Bruce providing logistic support.
> [ ] +1 - lets get the move done asap
> [ ] 0 - don't care either way
> [ ] -1 - lets perform the changes on codehaus CVS

It seems that there has been some sort of policy against full history
imports of code bases to the Incubator and that the matter is
currently being discussed over on general@incubator. I encourage those
of you interested in continuing forward with this task to follow this
discussion and to await the outcome before importing the full history.
IOW, I advise holding off the voting or progression forward on this
task based on the outcome of the discussion. Below is a link to the
entire discussion thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/general%40incubator.apache.org/msg06192.html

Bruce
);'