From Bill Dudney <bdud...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [wadi-dev] Fwd: Move to Geronimo Incubator - PAUSED.
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:03:57 GMT
Jules,

On Dec 20, 2005, at 6:48 AM, Jules Gosnell wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Thanks for voicing your concerns.
>
> I shall consider them carefully.

thanks

> Unfortunately, it is not enough that things are not yet done, but
> 'easy' to do, as we have learnt with our Geronimo integrations.

 From Geir's response it appears that Wiki & JIRA are not just easy
but already done, besides how hard can it be to add a new project to
JIRA...

> Over the last few weeks, I have allowed people to contribute fairly
> chaotically to the project's progress. I am now stepping in to
> bring some order to this process and ensure that my easy going
> attitude does not result in actual damage to the project.

Order is good, but community based, agreed upon order is really good.
Not that I'm opposed to stabilization (although I'm not really sure
that things are unstable) but a team working together on a well
defined problem is much better IMO than going it alone.

> I'm sorry if this move upsets you, but it would upset me far more
> to see all our good work go to waste at this critical moment.
>
> Please bear with me and we will complete the move, when I consider
> the time to be right.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Jules
>

> Bill Dudney wrote:
>
>> forgot to cc the WADI list
>>
>> -bd-
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Bill Dudney <bdudney@mac.com>
>>> Date: December 20, 2005 6:34:17 AM MST
>>> To: wadi-dev@incubator.apache.org
>>> Subject: Re: Move to Geronimo Incubator - PAUSED.
>>>
>>> Hi Jules,
>>>
>>> While I agree that we need to be ready to support G1 users I
>>> don't  think putting a pause on the move to incubator is the best
>>> way to  do that.
>>>
>>> So I have to -1 this approach.
>>>
>>> Let me make a few suggestions/comments;
>>>
>>> 1) Lets update the website one last time @ codehaus from the src
>>> in  the incubator - add an entry that says something like 'pardon
>>> our  dust we are moving to the incubator'. Lets get our website
>>> pushed  out to the incubator. We have space AFAIK at http://
>>> incubator.apache.org/wadi to put the site, it just needs to be
>>> pushed. Jeff & Jim should be able to do that RSN (maybe today?).
>>> 2) The code at apache is tagged with 'what came from codehaus'
>>> so  we can do cross server history, not the most efficient thing
>>> in the  world but do able.
>>> 3) I don't think there was confusion relating to the lists, just
>>> problems getting subscribed. I think that is all worked out now
>>> isn't it, we are all on the apache lists AFAIK.
>>> 4) JIRA and Wiki are good to go AFAIK and if not its simple to
>>> set  them up, we just need someone in charge of making that
>>> happen. I'm  glad to take it on if no one else can/wants to.
>>> 5) Archives are also easy to do.
>>>
>>> I really don't see that putting a pause on moving is going to
>>> help  anything WRT getting G1 support up and running. All it will
>>> do is  confuse things.
>>>
>>> Frankly this really upsets me to not have a discussion about it
>>> first. I understand that there are issues that need to be
>>> addressed  but becoming a dictator hardly seems the route to
>>> making things  better.
>>>
>>> Here are the issues as I understand them that you are bringing up;
>>>
>>> 1) the G1 support does not work
>>> 2) we dont' have an asf website that has current info
>>> 3) we don't have JIRA
>>> 4) we don't have Wiki