From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [long but important] importing cvs history
Date Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:12:32 GMT
I've given this further thought and decided that seeing as I am probably
the one who feels strongest about how this is done, and that it marks
the symbolic handover of my creation to ASF, I should like do this piece
of the migration.

I also have a few pre migration changes that I want to get into codehaus
cvs before we go and a further couple of package changes that I want to
implement.... both before and after...

Any issues with this ?

Jules

Jules Gosnell wrote:

> I'm not worried about the minutiae - but here is how I suggest it is
> done.
>
> - codehaus CVS stays completely intact.
> - a complete copy of codehas cvs is imported into incubator svn
> - a complete copy is imported to codehaus svn
> - relevant pieces are removed from incubator cvs (if they were never
> allowed to be there, this may have to be done in a single stage with
> the import)
> - relevant pieces are moved from codehaus svn
> - codehaus cvs remains unchanged, so we can rollback in case of
> emeergency
> - we then build a dev environment on top of incubator and codehaus svn
> - when this works, we can move forward on top of it - the build system
> wil need changing to accomodate two locations, and interconnecting deps
>
> - finally when everything is working again, we can think of e.g.
> repackaging via an ide across both locations etc.
>
> how does that sound ?
>

> Jules
>
> Bill Dudney wrote:

>>> How about just get the CVS tree and we import that?  We have the
>>> ability here at the ASF....
>>>

>> Not sure I follow, tar the CVS tree on codehaus, copy it over to ASF
>> then import from there?
>>
>> That would be fine and is close to what I'm proposing below. However
>> it does have the complexities that there are LGPL/GPL dependencies
>> in  the CVS tree that are not part of what is currently in SVN on
>> apache,  we want to leave the LGPL/GPL related code on codehaus
>> (i.e.  integration with JBoss & JGroups).
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> -bd-
>>
>>> geir

>>> --
>>> Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437
>>> geirm@apache.org

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell
 * Partner