From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: web site resources?
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:15:51 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2005, at 1:45 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:
>
>> I believe checking in a maven gened site is like checking in a binary.
>> Its also duplicate work and may cause confusion.  I don't see why this
>> is an issue.  All it takes is a "mvn site"...and its there for the
>> viewing.  Am I not seeing something important?
>
> Yes.  So far, we've done this style for *years* and have had no or
> minimal confusion.

Unless I am mistaken, I do not see other maven generated sites doing
this.  I just looked at maven's (the project) site and I am not seeing this.

> I want to be sure that anything that's deployed to the webserver can be
> checked before going out to the webserver.  The only way I can see us
> doing that is to generate and stuff in SVN.  If you have another way,
> I'm all ears.

Sure it can...you do a mvn site...look at it.  If you are happy, then do
a mvn site:deploy.

> It also gives us oversight because any html checkin can bee seen and
> reviewed (lazily) by everyone.

Why can't this be done with the mvn site?  Each person who wants to
review it does that and looks at it locally.

> How do you do production deployment?  let ops compile and assemble and
> deploy wars, jars and ears?  Or do you create, test and deploy the same
> binary artifacts?

mvn site:deploy will deploy to production.  The artifacts, etc, are no
different from a paradigm perspective than how we do it with Geronimo today.

> geir
>

>> Jeff
>>
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> Why would every file change?
>>>
>>> If every file changes on each re-gen, you need to change your system,
>>> IMO.  It should be predictable and/or controlable.
>>>
>>> geir

WS

I was

stored resources