From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [wadi-dev] Re: genericizing wadi deployment in geronimo
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 12:37:26 GMT
Jan Bartel wrote:

> Jeff et al,
>
> I've been thinking that what we need to generecize wadi
> for all web containers in geronimo is a GBean for a WADIService. The
> config that is currently done in the wadi-web.xml
> file could be moved out into this GBean. The GBean would go in
> the plan for the j2ee-deployer and the tomcat-deployer and jetty-deployer
> could reference that GBean.

Would the spring xml need translating into gbean xml, or be passed as a
value to a single gbean attribute ?

The advantage of having a single WEB-INF/wadi-web.xml, is that it can be
used to deploy the app on any number of container/app-server combinations.

I am very wary of going down any path which ceases to share a single
common config with all other paths.

> The user indicates that they want to use web clustering by
> putting the "distributable" tag in their web.xml. The tomcat-builder
> and jetty-builder look for that tag and if present hook up to the
> WADIService GBean and extract whatever information they need to
> enable WADI for the particular flavour of web container.
> The user could potentially use the current container-specific
> mechanisms that we have in place to plug in a different clustering
> mechanism if they didn't want to use WADI. In this scenario, the
> tomcat/jetty
> builders check the distributable tag and then check for overrides
> before hooking in WADI.

There are 4 possible combinations of distributable-tag and WADI, this
approach only takes into account +distributable, +wadi or -
distributable, -wadi... -distributable,+wadi is also a (less likely)
possibility (WADI may still be used for request relocation and
load-balancer integration, even if httpsession sttributes are
non-serialisable). +distributable,-wadi is another possibility, which
opens the door to using other clustering mechanisms...

> Bit of a brief overview, but what do you think?
>
> cheers
> Jan

my main concern at the moment, still unresolved, is how we include
configs for both Jetty and TC in the same WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml - has
anyone other than me tried this ? have they had any success ? how ?

So, I see the issues as :

1). get the integrations to the point that the same webapp with a single
wadi dd and multiple proprietary container dds can be deployed on all
jetty, tomcat, geronimo and jboss configurations.

2), somehow integrate wadi and the distributable tag - I was thinking
along the lines of a wadi-web.standard.xml and a
wadi-web.distributable.xml, if wad is enabled (+wadi), it decides which
to run, based on the status of the distributable flag (+/-) on the
context into which it is loaded.

3) there was something else but...

how does that sound ?

Jules

> Jeff Genender wrote:
>
>> I totally agree.  Lets talk more about ideas on this.
>>
>> Jan Bartel wrote:
>>
>>> Jeff,
>>>
>>> I am thinking that what we've got checked into the 1.0 branch of
>>> geronimo for wadi is a good start, but I'd like to see some of
>>> the container specificity removed.
>>>
>>> Ideally, a user shouldn't need to know or care if they're using
>>> Jetty, Tomcat or WebContainerX in Geronimo.
>>>
>>> So, I'd like to open discussion on how to move the wadi setup into
>>> the generic web-app schema. I'm starting the discussion on this
>>> list, but we could move it over to Geronimo if it's more appropriate.
>>> Maybe the generic web-app schema should allow a SessionManagerGBean
>>> to be specified, which we can specialize to a WADISessionManagerGBean
>>> and a TomcatWADISessionManagerGBean and a JettyWADISessionManagerGBean?
>>>
>>> Jan

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell
 * Partner