From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [wadi-dev] Fwd: Move to Geronimo Incubator - PAUSED.
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:39:10 GMT
Geir,

I understand your concerns.

WADI is still incubator-bound.

I am simply pausing the process to ensure that it is properly coordinated.

I wish you hadn't said the 'F' word....

more inline :

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Taking another run at this...
>
> What's the issue w/ Geronimo 1.0?  That's almost done, and the last
> thing *that* project needs is more changes at this point.  So really
> - what's the real issue here?

I'm not suggesting any changes to geronimo-1.0

> One thing that's different about ASF projects is that there isn't a
> Despot by name.  There are "Despot"-like people by community respect,
> and they simply are able to voice concerns and convince people that
> the way they wish to go is the right way.  You are such a person -
> you can voice your concerns, and we'll discuss and react.

When WADI has completed it's move to ASF it will be run according to ASF
custom, but the process is far from complete and the project will be run
along CodeHaus guidelines until this is the case.

> In this case, you just tried to take control - IMO, you can't here at
> the incubator.  In a sense, you are forking it back to Codehaus.
> This would be a terrible outcome.

see above ...

> I didn't know the issues you raised (maybe I should have) and am
> happy to help do what I can to get them fixed.  So, please - re-think
> this and lets get things sorted and squared away now...

sure, lets get them fixed. Meanwhile, the move is paused.

> geir
>
> (Out of courtesy, I cc-ed the codehaus list, but we really should
> start fixing the confusion by not doing this...)

No, you did the right thing. Until the move is complete, the codehaus
lists are fully functional. The incubator lists will come on line when I
declare the move complete.

Jules

> On Dec 20, 2005, at 8:58 AM, Bill Dudney wrote:
>
>> making sure everyone that is off codehaus is informed of the whole
>> thread...
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Jules Gosnell <jules@coredevelopers.net>
>>> Date: December 20, 2005 6:48:14 AM MST
>>> To: dev@wadi.codehaus.org
>>> Subject: Re: [wadi-dev] Fwd: Move to Geronimo Incubator - PAUSED.
>>>
>>> Bill,
>>>
>>> Thanks for voicing your concerns.
>>>
>>> I shall consider them carefully.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, it is not enough that things are not yet done, but
>>> 'easy' to do, as we have learnt with our Geronimo integrations.
>>>
>>> Over the last few weeks, I have allowed people to contribute  fairly
>>> chaotically to the project's progress. I am now stepping in  to
>>> bring some order to this process and ensure that my easy going
>>> attitude does not result in actual damage to the project.
>>>
>>> I'm sorry if this move upsets you, but it would upset me far more
>>> to see all our good work go to waste at this critical moment.
>>>
>>> Please bear with me and we will complete the move, when I consider
>>> the time to be right.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> Jules

>>> --
>>> "Open Source is a self-assembling organism. You dangle a piece of
>>> string into a super-saturated solution and a whole operating-system
>>> crystallises out around it."
>>>
>>> /**********************************
>>> * Jules Gosnell
>>> * Partner