From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: web site resources?
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:06:23 GMT

On Dec 23, 2005, at 1:45 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> I believe checking in a maven gened site is like checking in a binary.
> Its also duplicate work and may cause confusion.  I don't see why this
> is an issue.  All it takes is a "mvn site"...and its there for the
> viewing.  Am I not seeing something important?

Yes.  So far, we've done this style for *years* and have had no or
minimal confusion.

I want to be sure that anything that's deployed to the webserver can
be checked before going out to the webserver.  The only way I can see
us doing that is to generate and stuff in SVN.  If you have another
way, I'm all ears.

It also gives us oversight because any html checkin can bee seen and
reviewed (lazily) by everyone.

How do you do production deployment?  let ops compile and assemble
and deploy wars, jars and ears?  Or do you create, test and deploy
the same binary artifacts?

geir

> Jeff
>
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> Why would every file change?
>>
>> If every file changes on each re-gen, you need to change your system,
>> IMO.  It should be predictable and/or controlable.
>>
>> geir
>>
>> On Dec 23, 2005, at 12:36 PM, James Goodwill wrote:
>>
>>> I am not a big fan of checking the site in, especially when it is a
>>> situation that every file in the repo will change on a new gen. I
>>> don't know if we would gain anything.

was

copies of
this is