From Till Westmann <t...@westmann.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache VXQuery Incubating 0.2 (RC2)
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2013 02:50:07 GMT
Hi Jochen,

I'm sorry for the late reply - I was very busy in the last 2 weeks.

I agree that it would make sense to use the maven release plugin for our releases. And while
all the things that you do with the release plugin are probably easy to do, it wasn't obvious
to me how this should be done by looking at the docs of the release plugin.
So I would to take you up on your offer to talk about this in a hangout.
When would be a good time to do that?

Thanks,
Till

On Mar 21, 2013, at 3:07 AM, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Till,
>
>> if I get this right then the JavaDoc report would be the only thing that changes
the source.
>> Is that right?
>
> I don't see that the JavaDoc's affect the sources, but:
>
>> If we release binary artifacts, they would be derived from a released source code,
right?

> - What I usually do as a RM is
>  * Cut an SVN tag, like VXQuery-0.2-rc2.
>  * Prepare source and binary distributions from that tag.
>    (The maven-release-plugin possibly allows to combine these steps into one.)
>  * Run the vote.
>  * If the vote succeeds, rename the tag to, say, VXQuery-0.2. The
> tags for unsuccessful rc's remain.
>
>> If we have released (clean) source code, how can we create and distribute binary
artifacts that contain no surprises? Is there a controlled build environment somewhere that
we can use?