From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache VXQuery Incubating 0.2 (RC2)
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:07:42 GMT
Hi, Till,

> if I get this right then the JavaDoc report would be the only thing that changes the
source.
> Is that right?

I don't see that the JavaDoc's affect the sources, but:

> If we release binary artifacts, they would be derived from a released source code, right?

- What I usually do as a RM is
  * Cut an SVN tag, like VXQuery-0.2-rc2.
  * Prepare source and binary distributions from that tag.
    (The maven-release-plugin possibly allows to combine these steps into one.)
  * Run the vote.
  * If the vote succeeds, rename the tag to, say, VXQuery-0.2. The
tags for unsuccessful rc's remain.

> If we have released (clean) source code, how can we create and distribute binary artifacts
that contain no surprises? Is there a controlled build environment somewhere that we can use?

I recommend uploading everything to repository.apache.org, including
source and binary distributions. Again, the maven-release-plugin can
do that for you. After the vote, "publish" those artifacts and
everything's fine.

To be honest, that's simply what I do, and I'm quite certain that a
lot of people do it differently. If you have questions left, maybe we
can have a phone call, or a Google hangout at some point.

Jochen

--
"That's what prayers are ... it's frightened people trying to make
friends with the bully!"

Terry Pratchett. The Last Hero