incubator-vcl-dev mailing list archives

From Liz Wendland <...@duke.edu>
Subject Re: Windows images and Joining a Domain
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 11:46:01 GMT
Just thought I would update the list with my solution for this...

A very smart colleague pointed me to the

$self->reboot()

method in Windows.pm classes.  Using this I am able to force the VM to
reboot after I change the VM name, but still retain control so I can
join it to the domain.

One note to others who are working with changing VM names...

I found that changing the VM name ruined the sshd setup on my VM.  It
required me to re-run the update_cygwin.cmd.  Obviously I couldn't do
this from VCL since ssh was not working.  I tried to add a registry
setting to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\RunServices
so it would run on startup.

This did not work and I discovered that RunServices is apparently not
supported in Win7?  Instead I was able to use schtasks.exe to create a
scheduled task to run update_cygwin.cmd.