incubator-vcl-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Kurth <andy_ku...@ncsu.edu>
Subject Re: Base image capture failure
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2010 01:54:17 GMT
I encountered this problem yesterday working with a Windows 7 base
image.  I believe it's caused by a bug in Cygwin 1.7 which was recently
released.  Cygwin 1.7 is the version you get if you download setup.exe
from the main cygwin.com page.  There's a thread about the problem
affecting 64-bit Windows:
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-01/msg01185.html

 From what I've seen, the command will work via Cygwin/SSH if you run it
without the .exe extension on cmd.exe.  I'm assuming your attempting to
create a 32-bit XP base image?  I wasn't sure if the problem affected
all Windows versions running Cygwin 1.7 or only affects Windows
7/64-bit/??? so this is good to know.

I would hold off on Cygwin 1.7 because of this problem and other things
have changed.  The options for mount and umount have changed causing
cygwin-sshd-config.sh to display some warnings.  1.7 hasn't been tested
and I don't know if anything else will cause problems.

I updated the Cygwin installation instruction with a big red warning:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4589006

Try this:
-Uninstall Cygwin.  There may not be an entry in Add/Remove Programs.
If not, just delete C:\cygwin.
-Download and install setup-legacy.exe which installs Cygwin 1.5:
http://cygwin.com/setup-legacy.exe
-Follow the same VCL Cygwin installation instructions.

The mix of slashes shouldn't be a problem.  Cygwin should translate them
correctly when the command is executed.  The reason for the first
backslash is because the C:\Windows part comes from the expansion of
Cygwin's $SYSTEMROOT variable.  Cygwin's bash shell has equivalent
variables for the DOS/Windows environment variables, so %SystemRoot% is
exposed as $SYSTEMROOT in Cygwin/bash.  I try to use environment
variables whenever possible rather than hard-coding 'C:\Windows'.  The
remaining forward slashes are from VCL code.  It's easier to use forward
slashes because backslashes can become an escaping nightmare.

Hope this helps,
Andy

Terry McGuire wrote:
> On 2 Feb 2010, at 0807h, Andy Kurth wrote:
>
>> The problem has to do with SSH checking the known_hosts file.  Try adding the following
to /etc/ssh/ssh_config before the "Host *" section:

>> Host vmguest-* vmhost-* 10.*
>>   UserKnownHostsFile /dev/null
>>   StrictHostKeyChecking no
>>
>> This will cause SSH to ignore the known_hosts file for your VMs and VM hosts on the
private network.  The host keys change often as computers are reloaded. Adjust the Host line
to match your computer naming convention and private IP addresses.

> Yay!  The above addition, tweaked for our setup, did the trick.  No more SSH warnings.
>
> Now, I'm sorry to say, I've got a whole new group of warnings, starting with:
>
> ______________
> 2010-02-03 10:37:35|2273|1:13|image|utils.pm:run_ssh_command(6180)|executing SSH command
on vmguest-1:
> |2273|1:13|image| /usr/bin/ssh -i /etc/vcl/vcl.key  -l root -p 22 -x vmguest-1 '$SYSTEMROOT/System32/cmd.exe
/c "mkdir \"C:/Cygwin/home/root/VCL\""' 2>&1

> |2273|1:13|image| ---- WARNING ----
> |2273|1:13|image| 2010-02-03 10:37:35|2273|1:13|image|Windows.pm:create_directory(831)|failed
to create directory on vmguest-1: C:/Cygwin/home/root/VCL, exit status: 126, output:
> |2273|1:13|image| bash: C:\WINDOWS/System32/cmd.exe: Bad address
> |2273|1:13|image| ( 0) utils.pm, notify (line: 737)
> |2273|1:13|image| (-1) Windows.pm, create_directory (line: 831)
> |2273|1:13|image| (-2) Windows.pm, copy_capture_configuration_files (line: 5908)
> |2273|1:13|image| (-3) Windows.pm, pre_capture (line: 179)
> |2273|1:13|image| (-4) Version_5.pm, pre_capture (line: 85)
> |2273|1:13|image| (-5) vmware.pm, capture (line: 1202)
> |2273|1:13|image| (-6) image.pm, process (line: 162)
> ______________
>
> ...and followed by other warnings that appear to be consequences of this one, and ending
with failure.

> The mix of slashes and a backslash in "C:\WINDOWS/System32/cmd.exe" looks wrong to me,
and it seems connected to $SYSTEMROOT, but that's as far as I can take it.

> Hoping the end of this tunnel arrives soon...
>
> Terry

> Terry McGuire
> Junior Analyst, Research Support Group
> Academic Information & Communication Technologies (AICT)
> University of Alberta
> Edmonton, Alberta, Canada  T6G 2H1
> Phone:  780-492-9422
>
> This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed,
and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information.  Please contact us
immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, do not copy, distribute, or take action on it.
Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.