incubator-vcl-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: VCL developer call Thurs (2/5) from 1-3 PM
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 04:39:05 GMT

On Feb 4, 2009, at 6:15 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> First off, conference calls are not taboo.

I should mention that this is not a universally held opinion in the
ASF and the Incubator PMC in particular.  As for me I think that phone
calls to resolve technical issues is fine so long as they are
published.  As Matt mentions below, you should try to give ample
notice about the meeting.

Finally, after the meeting be prepared to rehash any technical
discussion or have any decision upturned by the community at large.
More specifically there is nothing final about phone meetings; they
are there to expedite dialog, nothing more.

> I'd go ahead with the call and see who can make it.  Heck, your
> phone number is now Googleable which is kind of nice :)  Take lots
> of notes and make sure to post the results back to the list so
> people can read what happened and comment.  The fact that you posted
> the time and the meeting and what you wanted to discuss on the list
> is excellent.  I'd be concerned if I saw an e-mail that said
> something like, "We met over at NC State yesterday and decided
> that ..." That would definitely not be good; decisions are made via
> e-mail with community input.  Apache Geronimo had a spot of
> confusion a couple of years ago when a number of committers met at
> Java One and the meeting location and time we're not well
> communicated.

Oy.  Trust me, you don't want to repeat that.

/me messages his sore rear...

Regards,
Alan