From Kushal Dalmia <kdal...@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject Re: Tashi Networking Issue
Date Sat, 10 Dec 2011 20:49:04 GMT
Hi Micheal,

The VMs cannot ping the other VMs.Also the bridge has been setup with the default delay etc.
I think what is wrong is the routing on host B. I ran a tcpdump on B and tried to ping A from
the VM. I can see the packets on B coming from the bridge but nowhere to be forwarded.
Another point to note is that the interface with the required subnet (i.e. the subnet of the
VMs and the bridge IP addresses) is a virtual interface and not a physical card. The hosts
A,B and C actually belong to a diff subnet physically. But we want a new subnet for the VMs
and the virtual bridges. Any pointers towards how to setup such a config would be greatly
helpful. The end result we want is just that the VMs belong to a different subnet than the
physical hosts and still be able to ping each other and all the hosts.

Thanks,
Kushal

On Dec 10, 2011, at 10:40 AM, Michael Stroucken <mxs@cmu.edu> wrote:

> Hi Kushal,
>

> Kushal Dalmia wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to setup Tashi in a cluster environment. My configuration is
>> as follows:
>>
>>                     Host B (Node Manager)
>> Host A           /
>> (Cluster Manager)\
>>                     Host C (Node Manager)
>>
>> I am using the Qemu backend and using Virtual Bridges for VM connectivity.
>> In my current setup, I am creating Virtual Bridges on Hosts A, B and C.
>> All three virtual bridges are part of the same subnet (192.168.2.*)
>>
>> When I create a new VM, it gets successfully created on one of B/C. I can
>> easily ping/ssh into the VM from whichever host it is created on. However,
>> my application requires it to be reachable/sshable from host A as well.
>> Host A can ping the virtual bridges on B and C (and vice-versa as well).
>> Also, the VM can ping the virtual bridge on the host but not other nodes. Is there
anything I am missing in my setup? The outputs for "ifconfig" and