From Richard Gass <richardg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some questions
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 15:42:54 GMT
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Robert Gibbon
<robert.gibbon@cloudhowe.com> wrote:
> Hi team Tashi
>
> I just found your project and it looks really interesting, albeit in the
> early phases. I've got some questions for you, if you've got time, maybe you
> can answer them...
>
> * I can see that all of the nodes need to have access to a common backend
> filesystem to get the machine images. How difficult would it be to leverage
> a pxe boot server instead? What problems can you see with that?

Yes, there needs to be some system that holds all the images.

> * What are your thoughts on dynamic bare metal provisioning (hence the above
> question)?

We use a system that we call Zoni to do bare metal provisioning of
systems.  Zoni handles provisioning, management, allocation,
isolation, and debugging,  It is currently checked into the tashi tree
(look in the src dir).  I am currently putting the finishing touches
on the first working release.

> At my work we've got lots of (old school) vertically scaling implementations
> that simply don't perform to the required specification under a hypervisor
> (we've proven it). We can't be the only organisation with that problem.
>
> I remember chatting to a cloud services vendor who said outright that
> running a busy rdbms under a hypervisor is a very very bad idea.
>
> My humble, bare metal cloud provisioning in addition to virtual provisioning
> is definitely the way to go.
>
> Last question, are you looking for some help?

We are always looking for help by way of code contributions.  Please
send your commits my way :D

Richard

--
Richard Gass