From Richard Gass <richardg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1347602 - /incubator/tashi/trunk/src/tashi/nodemanager/vmcontrol/qemu.py
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 14:04:18 GMT
Hi Michael. Yes you are correct that the lv disk should be in use even
during reboots. I understand that you want to blast everything that is
not in use to cleanup unused lv's due to improper exits of the
vm/nodemanager.  For me it makes me a little uncomfortable allowing
the fate of all the lv's to be decided at every change in vm state.
Also, what happens during migration.

I can see arguments either way. If we blast everything every time, we
are pretty sure that the disk shouldn't have unused disk space for
extended periods granted high vm turnover on the host.  However, it
makes me nervous doing this and also may have issues during migration,
suspends, etc.

The other way we may need to have a separate thread running to check
the disk for unused vms and keep track. It maybe a nice place to put
all lv related stuff.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

--
Richard

Sent from my mobile device

On Jun 7, 2012, at 22:39, Michael Stroucken <mxs@cmu.edu> wrote:

> Eric VS wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yeah, jet lag can be a pain...
>>
>> You're right, under normal circumstances lvremove will not remove open
>> volumes but you need to take into account that sometimes the situation
>> might occur that some developer/engineer/... is doing some work that
>> requires unmounting / remounting an LV. If at that same instant a VM
>> belonging to another user gets destroyed, that would also delete the
>> unmounted volume belonging to the first VM.
>>
> As long as the KVM process is still running, the LV should remain opened, regardless
of whether the scratch volume is mounted in the guest or not. What specifically happened?