From "David O'Hallaron" <d...@cs.cmu.edu>
Subject Destination host unreachable
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 17:26:48 GMT
We're running a tashi cluster as the backend for an autograding
service at CMU called Autolab. Each time a student hands in their
work, the service creates a fresh VM instance, autogrades the students
work in this instance, and then destroys it. Now and then, typically
in periods of higher load when we have to create multiple instances
at the same time, we'll get an instance that can't be reached (see
below).

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks!
Dave

linux> tashi-client.py getinstances
 id  hostId name        user state   disk     memory cores
 178 6      tango6-rhel gdm  Running rhel.img 512    1

linux> ping tango6-rhel.vmnet
PING tango6-rhel.vmnet (192.168.1.216) 56(84) bytes of data.
>From 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
>From 192.168.1.1 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable

-- David O'Hallaron
-- Prof of CS and ECE, Carnegie Mellon University
-- contact: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~droh