From "Ryan, Michael P" <michael.p.r...@intel.com>
Subject RE: July podling incubator board reports
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2009 05:01:11 GMT
I've checked in a version of this into the repository.  If I don't get comments/revisions tomorrow,
I'll put it on the wiki.

- Michael

2009-July Tashi Incubator Status Report

Tashi has been incubating since September 2008.

The Tashi project aims to build a software infrastructure for cloud computing
on massive internet-scale datasets (what we call Big Data). The idea is to
build a cluster management system that enables the Big Data that are stored in
a cluster/data center to be accessed, shared, manipulated, and computed on by
remote users in a convenient, efficient, and safe manner.

Development activities have included adding a locality and layout service,
integrating metrics into ganglia for monitoring, more complicated network
isolation support, and preliminary code for the purpose of communicating with
Maui, a cluster scheduler.  Additionally, the documentation has been enhanced
on the project webpage.

The project is still struggling to grow a substantial user community, but there
are several active contributors.  We are looking forward to the opportunity to
present our work with PRS and Hadoop at SC'09 [1].

Items to be resolved before graduation:
        * Prepare and review a release candidate
        * Develop community diversity (currently Intel and CMU committers)

[1] http://scyourway.nacse.org/conference/view/tut168