From "Ryan, Michael P" <michael.p.r...@intel.com>
Subject Monthly Report
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 18:21:35 GMT
Comments?  I've posted this on the wiki already, but if changes need to be made, let me know.

2009-April Tashi Incubator Status Report

Tashi has been incubating since September 2008.

The Tashi project aims to build a software infrastructure for
cloud computing on massive internet-scale datasets (what we call
Big Data). The idea is to build a cluster management system
that enables the Big Data that are stored in a cluster/data center
to be accessed, shared, manipulated, and computed on by remote users
in a convenient, efficient, and safe manner.

Development activities have included adding support for using a database to
track virtual machine information, modifying code to work with Python 2.4,
integration with dynamic DHCP and DNS servers, and adding a "tidy" target to
check the source code.

There have been a few questions on tashi-user@i.a.o that centered around
getting Tashi up and running.  Additionally, submissions on the dev list
included patches from a student at CMU, and some scripts from a non-committer
at Intel.  There is still a lot of work to be done in growing a community.

Items to be resolved before graduation:
	* Put more effort into project documentation so that other potential
	  contributors may more easily get involved
        * Develop community diversity (currently Intel and CMU committers)
        * Prepare and review a release candidate