From James Cipar <jci...@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject Updating Instance info from NM
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2009 23:39:05 GMT
I was wondering what people think is the best way to have external
programs modify the "Instance" object on the Cluster manager.

The context is this: I've added support for the node manager to update
the NIC info for an instance.  This is useful if we want to allow the
VMM to assign MAC addresses itself.  Currently my test setup does
that: MACs are assigned automatically by Xen, and I wanted to ensure
that they would be sent back to the CM, so that they would be visible
in a "getInstances" call.  In some cases, it may be preferable to have
the scheduler assign a MAC, or add an IP address to the Instance info.

In addition, there should be a way to leave the MAC unspecified in the
instance until the VM is activated.  Currently a dummy value is used.
However, it would be nice to have a way to tell the node manager
"start a VM with whatever MAC you want" or "start a VM with this MAC".

Right now to send the MAC to the CM, I'm using the NM->CM  call
"vmUpdate" to send the new MAC address.  If the CM detects that the
"nics" field in the instance in non-null, it updates the "nics" field
in its own data structures.

Any comments/suggestions?
-Jim