From Jordi Clement <jclem...@dds.nl>
Subject Re: "Virtual" resources - resources not tied to an actual application or system account
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 08:21:14 GMT
Hi,

please find my reply inline.

On 17 okt. 2012, at 13:21, Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgrosso@apache.org> wrote:

> On 17/10/2012 13:09, Jordi Clement wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Syncope currently does not provide something like "virtual resources", i.e. every
resource is related to a connector and a target system / application. Virtual resources on
the other hand can basically be anything, for instance a mobile phone or hardware token you'd
like to "provision" to the user and include in your workflow and that you want to manage through
the user's identity lifecycle.

>> I've implemented provisioning solutions in the past that supported these "virtual"
resources and it's something that, if available, we would put to good use right away.

>> What do you guys think? Would that be a good addition to Syncope's functionality?

> Hi Jordi,
> this sounds very interesting: you are basically proposing to have
> 'empty' resources - i.e. external resources without an associated
> connector instance - to be used like as 'marker' for users and / or
> roles. Correct?
Yes, this is correct.

> If so, this could also be in the direction of SYNCOPE-167 [1].
I don't understand the functionality suggested in SYNCOPE-167. Can you please elaborate on
that one? Maybe explain in the form of typical use case / scenario?

>> And is there a way we could simulate such a resource now (for instance, using an
"empty" connector that we could tie to these virtual resources?).

> The closest match to what you describe above would be to define a
> connector instance (of *any* connector bundle) with no capabilities,
> then create an external resource with such connector instance.
This is only configuration, and no development is necessary. Do I understand correctly? I'll
give it a go to decide whether we can use this mechanism for the time being.

> You will, though, get some "noise" in the logs (see error message at [2]).
I've taken a look at this page, but I'm not sure what your referring to on that page? That
last log message I guess?

kind regards,

Jordi