From Jordi Clement <jclem...@dds.nl>
Subject Virtual attributes
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:23:27 GMT
Hi,

we're looking at virtual attributes, a concept support by Apache Syncope. I've stumbled upon
an email thread from 2011 about these virtual attributes. I've copied the relevant part below,
because I can't find it in the new archives.

> Hi Dino,
>
> Virtual attributes are user attributes that are not stored on the Syncope db. If you
enter a virtual attribute in the user schema you can change its value through the form.

> When you save an user, Syncope assign the value of each virtual attribute to all resource
accounts that define the virtual attribute name in their schema map.

> In conclusion, virtual attributes value reside only on external resources.
>
> Marco

I understand that virtual attributes are not stored in Syncope, but only exist in connected
systems and that they can be viewed and modified because of the virtue of being defined in
the schema map. So basically they're referenced and retrieved and displayed or modified and
provisioned only when needed (for instance because of an admin viewing the users details in
Syncope)? Similar to the way Sun Identity Manager used to deal with references?

Kind regards,

J.