From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Workflows in Syncope
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:42:12 GMT
On 29/10/2012 11:31, Martin van Es wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since my Syncope test instance is more or less doing what I wanted to test I was interested
in taking this to the next level and see what workflows could do. I have experience creating
Activiti workflows for Alfresco so I hoped to apply this knowledge to Syncope a get a headstart.

> A couple of questions regarding workflows in Syncope:
>
> 1. As I see it right now, there is one governing workflow (for all users in Syncope).
Do I understand correctly that at the moment if I were to manage two kinds of roles (students
+ employees e.g.) I would have to create one workflow that forks into two main paths depending
on main role and they would be mutually explusive (unless the fork could instantiate two parallel
subprocesses).

Correct: the default workflow handler (ActivitiUserWorkflowAdapter) is
working with a single workflow definition (e.g. a single XML).

If you want handle this differently, you need to provide your own
workflow handler - but this is of course not easy - see [1] for more
information.

> 2. In Alfresco a big part of workflow design is designing the accompanying model and
forms. How is that done in Syncope, where would I put my models/forms, how and where will
they be rendered (in Todo, like the Tasks in Alfresco?).

Forms are currently handled in the same XML as workflow definition, as
per Activiti specification [2].

> 3. Alfresco supports "live" model and workflow deployment and updating to ease development
of workflows. I didn't find this in Syncope. Do I need to restart Syncope for each change
in model/workflow/form? Can I
> restart the Activiti sub process? If so, how?

There is no need to restart anything, just update the XML workflow via
admin console [3] or RESTful method - for which we still lack a decent
documentation :(

> Is workflow support mature enough to start experimenting with or should I wait a little?
I was contemplating helping out on documentation if I were to succeed in crafting a simple
example from scratch including model and interface.

The current Activiti-based implementation is running successfully in
some production environments AFAIK, even though the documentation is far
from being complete [4]: as for anything else, there is always room for
improvement, though...

Regards.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/CustomWorkflowEngine
[2] http://www.activiti.org/userguide/index.html#forms