From Jordi Clement <jclem...@dds.nl>
Subject Re: Virtual attributes
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:43:28 GMT
Thanks for the links. Good to be able to respond to the correct (if somewhat older) thread
:-)

One more question though, since this is actually what I don't grasp:
What value is shown in the Syncope UI if a virtual attribute named "color" is linked to three
connected systems all with an attribute named "color", but with values of respectively "red",
"green" and "blue"?

kind regards,

J.

On 24 okt. 2012, at 14:35, Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgrosso@apache.org> wrote:

> On 24/10/2012 14:23, Jordi Clement ha wrote:
>> Hi,
>> we're looking at virtual attributes, a concept support by Apache Syncope. I've stumbled
upon an email thread from 2011 about these virtual attributes. I've copied the relevant part
below, because I can't find it in the new archives.

> Here you go at Nabble [1], the only archive for pre-ASF and new mailing list messages.
>
> There is some (very concise, though) introduction about virtual attributes at [2].
>
>>> Hi Dino,
>>>
>>> Virtual attributes are user attributes that are not stored on the Syncope db.
If you enter a virtual attribute in the user schema you can change its value through the form.

>>> When you save an user, Syncope assign the value of each virtual attribute to
all resource accounts that define the virtual attribute name in their schema map.

>>> In conclusion, virtual attributes value reside only on external resources.
>>>
>>> Marco
>>
>> I understand that virtual attributes are not stored in Syncope, but only exist in
connected systems and that they can be viewed and modified because of the virtue of being
defined in the schema map. So basically they're referenced and retrieved and displayed or
modified and provisioned only when needed (for instance because of an admin viewing the users
details in Syncope)? Similar to the way Sun Identity Manager used to deal with references?