From Bob Lannoy <bob.lan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Users & roles
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 13:51:42 GMT
Hi,

Maybe I should try to explain a bit more on what I'm trying to achieve ;)

- I have an external application that contains some general roles. and
possibly custom roles for specific elements
- several organisations will use that application

I was thinking that Syncope could manage the users of those
organisations which means:
- an admin user from orgA can create users for orgA and assign
application roles to them
- an admin user from orgB can create users for orgB and assign
application roles to them
The external app would then have to authenticate the user + get the
application roles

However there is no notion of organisational structure in Syncope so I
tried a role hierarchy to model a basic structure.
orgA (roletype=org)
 -users
  --user (roletype=user)
  --admin (roletype=user)
 -applications
  --app1 (roletype=app)
OrgB
Applications
--app2 (roletype=app)

I could use the syncope entitlements so that the admin role in orgA
can only create users in the orgA/users/user role and assign
application roles.

>From the application side I would have to get info from Syncope
stating user X from orgA has applicationrole app1 and app2.
In my case I would get the role "user" and need to get the parent with
roletype=org to find the org name.

But maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

Bob