From "Agrawal, Avantika" <aagra...@wharton.upenn.edu>
Subject RE: Proposal about setting configuration service url
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:38:20 GMT
+1 on having a single location to set the ConfigService URL! Something like this had occurred
to me while I was developing the .NET patch for this feature, but did not have the time to
follow through.

I have some questions about this approach though:

1-      What will be the default ConfigService in case the user does not manually enter the
Config tab from the UI? Since the database is shared between implementations, wouldn’t this
impose a single ConfigService on the other implementations? For instance if the default ConfigService
url is the .NET one – then even the METRO client would need to have the .NET services running
before being able edit  the ConfigService in the database from the Config tab.

2-      For the sake of consistency, could we somehow merge this new table with the SERVICES
table? since the ConfigServices are also still services, we could enter the different URLs
into the SERVICE table as DOTNET_CONFIG, METRO_CONFIG, etc.  Then, perhaps we could we have
another table which specifies which implementations map to which ConfigServices. I know this
sounds a little bit more complicated, but it would allow us specify the correct defaults for
each implementation and it seems a little more consistent with the current database design.

Those were my thoughts. I am unsure whether the intention is to have a single ConfigService
for all the platforms. If that is the case, then the previously suggested approach sounds
perfect. Great idea!

Thanks,
Avantika