From Avantika Agrawal <t-ava...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Set the Address of Config Service from Web Page?
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 16:33:49 GMT
Hi Ming,

Yes, I think we can move on to this issue now. The way I imagined it, there would be an app.config
setting for config service which is the default when the application is started. When the
config tab is clicked, the first screen asks you to specify the config service (which overwrites
the variable holding the Config Service endpoint) - this cn be just like the PHP as you suggested.
Then there's a continue button which takes you to the next few pages (Basic Config & Advanced
Config). We need this because the drop down lists are populated using the Config Service so
it needs to be specified first.

Any thoughts on this design?

Thanks,
Avantika

-----Original Message-----
From: Ming Jin [mailto:skyairmj@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:23 AM
To: stonehenge-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: Harold Carr; Kent Brown; Mo Li; Ming Jin; ynjia@thoughtworks.com
Subject: Set the Address of Config Service from Web Page?

As advanced Config Service is finished in both .NET and Metro version, we
now can update config service and add new config service from web page very
easily. Besides that, we can switch the implementations of Config Service
between .NET and Metro to test the interoperability, of which the only
change is to set the address of Config Service in the config files.
Currently, we have separate static config files in .NET and Metro's
implementation of Config Service, so every time we want to change the config
service,  we need to change config files and restart the application to make
the changes take effect.

So do we need a web page where we can set the address of config service we
want to use so we don't need to change config files and restart the
application again, like it works in the PHP version?

How do you think?

---
Ming Jin

Consultant