From Ben Dewey <Ben.De...@26ny.com>
Subject RE: Board Report for August
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 03:53:19 GMT
Great work Abu, looks great.  Thanks,

-Ben Dewey

From: Abu Obeida Bakhach [mailto:Abu.Obeida@microsoft.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:15 PM
To: stonehenge-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Board Report for August

Here is my draft report to the incubation committee, posted at [1]  Please revise here

Stonehenge

Stonehenge has been incubating since December 2008. Stonehenge a set of example applications
for Service Oriented Architecture that spans languages and platforms and demonstrates best
practices and interoperability by using currently defined W3C OASIS standard protocols.

Since the last report in April, the Stonehenge project has gained tremendous sustained momentum
over releasing Milestone 1 (M1) and starting Milestone 2 (M2). The community has gone through
many discussions defining and refining features for the .NET StockTrader<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/StockTrader>,
Axis2/Java StockTrader<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/StockTrader>, WSF/PHP StockTrader<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/StockTrader>,
and the new Glassfish/Metro based StockTrader<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/StockTrader>
from SUN. Two of them were demonstrated in the Microsoft Keynote at JavaOne<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/JavaOne>.

A detailed update:

Admin: The community has gone through a release iteration, learning the various Apache guidelines
for managing a release. After 3 iterations of review by the incubator-general list, M1 released
on June 4th.

Community: About 8 new developers have joined, three of them have been nominated to and granted
committer status based on a community vote. Their contributions have been instrumental in
advancing M1 and M2. In the last couple of weeks various graduate students from University
of Pennsylvania joined the community and are exploring ways to contribute to the Java stacks.

M1: The community has identified and resolved 34 JIRA issues towards the first release. The
M1 release was accompanied by detailed documentation allowing any external developer to download
and configure the various implementations of the StockTrader<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/StockTrader>
application, and demonstrate interoperability between the various platforms. The Stonehenge
project was well received at JavaOne<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/JavaOne> and had
positive mentions in the press. The Glassfish/Metro based Stocktrader was contributed towards
the end of M1. It is currently being moved to trunk in M2.

M2: An extensive discussion ensued about the various security feature and scenarios to implement
as an extension for the StockTrader<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/StockTrader> applications.
The community identified which features of the various security web services specs implemented
by each platform can be used in M2. An overall spec was approved on the list by the respective
members of each platform. Currently there are 17 JIRA issues marked as M2.

Graduation map:

1-    M1 release: done

2-    M2: IN the April report, M2 was described as "Another iteration of improvements for
StockTrader<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/StockTrader> would constitute the second
release (M2)". M2 now is clearly defined as extending security features in StockTrader<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/StockTrader>,
development is well on track for a release in Sept.

3-    M3: In the April report, M3 was described as "A third release would be either adding
more interop functionality to StockTrader<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/StockTrader>,
or implementing a new sample application". M3 is not discussed yet, however with the momentum
we have we might prefer to execute it after graduation.

Given the M1 and M2 momentum, we believe we are very close to graduation requirements. The
only issues left before graduation is completing M2, along with the needed documentation to
demonstrate interoperability between the stacks.

[1] [cid:image001.png@01CA1A85.BF249A20] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2009