From Martin Sebor <mse...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: STDCXX-1071 numpunct facet defect
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 00:27:06 GMT
On 09/27/2012 06:41 AM, Liviu Nicoara wrote:
> On 09/26/12 20:12, Liviu Nicoara wrote:
>> I have created STDCXX-1071 and linked to STDCXX-1056. [...]
>>
>> I am open to all questions, the more the better. Most of my opinions
>> have been expressed earlier, but please ask if you want to know more.
>>

> I am attaching here the proposed (4.3.x) patch and the timings results
> (after re-verifying the correctness of the timing program and the
> results). The 4.2.x patch, the 4.3.x patch, the test program and the
> results file are also attached to the incident.

The patch isn't binary compatible. We can't remove data members
in a minor release. We could only do it in a major release.

I'm still curious about the performance, though. It doesn't make
sense to me that a call to a virtual function is faster than one
to an almost trivial inline function.

Let me see if I can build the library on Solaris and put together
some numbers. I hope to have some time this weekend.

Martin