From Liviu Nicoara <nikko...@hates.ms>
Subject Re: New chair and/or attic
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 23:43:53 GMT

On Aug 30, 2012, at 5:45 PM, C. Bergström <cbergstrom@pathscale.com> wrote:

> On 08/31/12 03:10 AM, Pavel Heimlich, a.k.a. hajma wrote:
>>> 2) Posting the project is dead on a public list certainly doesn't help grow a
community

>> well, it's half year since revival of the project was announced and has
>> there been any progress/improvements? The state of this is a koma at best.
> Just because bureaucrats say jump doesn't mean anything is going to happen.

Pavel has had an unfortunate choice of words. Let's leave it at that.

> -----------
> The facts as I know it
> 1) Our fork is maintained (continuous bug fixes - which we won't submit to Apache now)
> 2) Stefan is putting in some work (one man army)
> 3) Wojciech Meyer had put in some work
> 4) NetBSD has a small amount of patches they could probably push upstream (If Jörg has
the time)
> 5) Martin is/was great for feedback in all areas of STL/C++/occasional code review

While I recognize the value of each one of the points you make, I am puzzled as to why you
are not going forward on your way with your fork? How is the Apache Foundation keeping you
from making progress on your use of the library?

> STDCXX isn't some stupid ass java framework or widget - It's a *critical* part of ...

We all know that. This is the reason we/I come back to it over and over again, for reference,
or inspiration, or sometime just to remember the good ol' days. That's what I meant by it
can't be explained.