From Liviu Nicoara <nikko...@hates.ms>
Subject Re: New chair and/or attic
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 00:54:07 GMT

On Aug 30, 2012, at 8:00 PM, C. Bergström wrote:

> On 08/31/12 06:43 AM, Liviu Nicoara wrote:
>> While I recognize the value of each one of the points you make, I am puzzled as to
why you are not going forward on your way with your fork? How is the Apache Foundation keeping
you from making progress on your use of the library?
> For our use it's not and I welcome any patches/help.
>
> It may be missed opportunity for getting a larger userbase and a moot point anyway.
Specifically FBSD - When trying to push it as part of c++ stack replacement or part of ports
the only objection I got was licensing related.  (At this point they could also argue missing
c++11 support)  [...]

IIUC, you would want to see STDCXX getting more exposure; one such avenue would involve having
it used in FreeBSD as a ports package, with an all permissive BSD license.

> While STDCXX is at Apache it will never be BSD licensed.  Solution - move it away from
Apache foundation and have them transfer some of the additional rights they received to allow
recipient foundation to relicense.  I thought this would be a win for the project and everyone,
but for some reason instead of opening a discussion to transfer - it's just death grip and
pushing to the attic.

The fact that Rogue Wave agreed to release the STDCXX code back in 2005 is nothing short of
a miracle. IMHO, we are lucky to benefit from having had this library released to the public,
anyway.