From "C. Bergström" <cbergst...@pathscale.com>
Subject Re: New chair and/or attic
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:20:48 GMT
On 09/ 1/12 01:17 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> The idea that ALv2 projects can't be added to FreeBSD ports is complete and
> total hogwash. Pure FUD.
Thanks for the top post and your view...  Can you actually address the
issue and question?

> On Aug 31, 2012, at 8:43 AM, C. Bergström<cbergstrom@pathscale.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 08/31/12 07:20 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
it away from Apache foundation and have them transfer some of the additional rights they received
to allow recipient foundation to relicense.  I thought this would be a win for the project
and everyone, but for some reason instead of opening a discussion to transfer - it's just
death grip and pushing to the attic.
>>> What is wrong with ALv2?
>> Armchair lawyer discussion on this will never end and I'll try to keep this brief..
>>
>> Apache lawyer views, our lawyer views, your views.. etc (not the problem here)
>>
>> FSF views which probably have some weight across the open source community is summed
up with this..
>> "Despite our best efforts, the FSF has never considered the Apache License to be
compatible with GPL version 2"
>> http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
>>
>> That view seems to have been accepted by the FBSD community - The effect is that
the large amount of GPLv2 code in ports/elsewhere can't take advantage of STDCXX due to it's
license.  Please note I'm not arguing if this is "correct", but just the feedback I've gotten.
 I'm not interested to fight that.

>> Open source works like this in my experience : people use it, they love it and they
contribute back.  To get users we need to solve problems for larger communities - Make sense?