From Liviu Nicoara <nikko...@hates.ms>
Subject Re: STDCXX forks
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:10:40 GMT
On 08/31/12 08:58, "C. Bergström" wrote:
> On 08/31/12 07:40 PM, Liviu Nicoara wrote:
>> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>> I have seen two forks on github, one belonging to C. Bergstrom/Pathscale and the
other to Stefan Teleman.

>> The first one contains a number of genuine code changes outside the Apache repository,
but without canonical and meaningful commit comments, and without accompanying test cases.
> We can help clean this up if it makes a real difference

That is appreciated. It would make a huge difference to anybody coming anew to the project
or just catching up, like me.

>> Some carry what seem to be bug id's from a private bug database. Some of the changes,
e.g., 84d01405124b8c08bb43fdc3755ada2592449727
> iirc we renamed the files because of some problem with cmake - it was trying to compile
those files instead of treating them like headers.
>> , fa9a45fb36e45b71ba6b4ae93b50bd6679549420, seem odd.
> I forget why we did this tbh - I'll try to get an answer in case it comes up again as
a question

My point exactly, a good comment explains the why's.

>> Are you guys dropping support for any platforms?
> Not intentionally - We are using/testing this on Solaris, FBSD and Linux - We may add
OSX/Win to that list soon, but I can't promise at this point. For targets we only are able
to test x86 and x86_64

The reason I am asking is that changes to the template implementation files have most likely
broken the support for compilers that do "implicit inclusion" of template implementations
(a.k.a. link-time instantiation of templates). I am not incriminating anyone mind you, I am
just trying to point out there mightbe a gap in your testing of your changes.

> NetBSD also has a "fork" I believe, but not sure if it's public/status

Do you know where that is?

>> Stefan's seem like a complete git-ification of the whole Apache repository but with
no changes I could detect.
> He has quite a number of patches and forget where those are kept. I'm guessing a lot
of his fixes target KDE/Qt apps and the Perennial C++VS testsuite.
> http://www.peren.com/pages/cppvs_set.htm

I briefly looked over some patches, there's quite a few of them. I plan to go in more detail
over the week-end.

Cheers.