From "C. Bergström" <>
Subject Re: New chair and/or attic
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:43:53 GMT
On 08/31/12 07:20 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> On Aug 30, 2012, at 8:00 PM, C. Bergström<>  wrote:
>> While STDCXX is at Apache it will never be BSD licensed.  Solution - move it away
from Apache foundation and have them transfer some of the additional rights they received
to allow recipient foundation to relicense.  I thought this would be a win for the project
and everyone, but for some reason instead of opening a discussion to transfer - it's just
death grip and pushing to the attic.
> What is wrong with ALv2?
Armchair lawyer discussion on this will never end and I'll try to keep
this brief..

Apache lawyer views, our lawyer views, your views.. etc (not the problem

FSF views which probably have some weight across the open source
community is summed up with this..
"Despite our best efforts, the FSF has never considered the Apache
License to be compatible with GPL version 2"

That view seems to have been accepted by the FBSD community - The effect
is that the large amount of GPLv2 code in ports/elsewhere can't take
advantage of STDCXX due to it's license.  Please note I'm not arguing if
this is "correct", but just the feedback I've gotten.  I'm not
interested to fight that.

Open source works like this in my experience : people use it, they love
it and they contribute back.  To get users we need to solve problems for
larger communities - Make sense?

Can you help clear this roadblock, yes or no?

View raw message