From "C. Bergström" <cbergst...@pathscale.com>
Subject Re: New chair and/or attic
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:56:26 GMT
On 08/30/12 07:29 PM, Liviu Nicoara wrote:
> On 08/30/12 06:48, "C. Bergström" wrote:
>> I'm sincerely sorry to ask this and I have my own answers, but why
>> continue STDCXX when such negativity from Apache is apparent..
>
> AFAICT, the Apache Foundation has been a good host for STDCXX during
> these years. They have provided a framework for STDCXX to function in
> as well as an infrastructure for its daily activities. All in
> accordance to their principles about what constitutes a healthy
> software project.
I disagree that the recent actions have fostered positive growth in the
project.
1) They fired the previous PMC - who was by far the most invested and
dedicated person to the project.  I don't care if he missed some reports
or had a few flippant comments - I think it was pretty stupid (I mean
he's part of the C++ standard committee)
2) Posting the project is dead on a public list certainly doesn't help
grow a community

Hosting and mailing lists can be put almost anywhere and very a menial
thing.  I see discussions like this and bureaucratic non-sense as a dire
roadblock to success.

>> or
>> Why not move to libc++? (Yes I realize the amount of effort involved
>> here)
>
> It can't be explained.
Sure it can, but it's biased to perspective and needs.  For example if
libc++ doesn't support Win platforms, or you must maintain STL
compatibility or if you want to have support for C++11 sooner.

I'll contribute time, resources and engineering help if the project
moves away from Apache, but not otherwise.

./C