From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Apache Standard C++ Project chair change
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 18:08:07 GMT

On May 16, 2012, at 1:00 PM, Stefan Teleman wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Travis Vitek
> <Travis.Vitek@roguewave.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Stefan Teleman <stefan.teleman@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> I am going to ask the following questions in the open. Perhaps this
>>> way I will get an answer:
>>>
>>> 1. Apparently, "Bill's emails" were sent and replied to on the private
>>> list. I have not received any of them, although I am on the private
>>> list. Or at least, I was on the private list as recently as late
>>> March. Is this a case of mailing list malfunction? If that is the
>>> case, it should be fixed.
>>
>> The e-mails regarding the ICLAs were sent to the @private list on 5/1.
>
> Well, yes I got that. My problem is that I no longer receive emails
> from @private. I used to, until about end of March/first week of
> April. I even sent a bunch of emails to @private. If this is a
> PMC".  So, here I am, contacting the stdcxx PMC about @private. I
> would appreciate an answer.

I defer to Bill (Bill Rowe, that is) regarding whether he is willing
to share his emails.

>>> 3. There was a recent and important PMC change at stdcxx.
>>> Congratulations to Jim Jagielski for his new role as PMC Chair. Again,
>>> I learned of this change yesterday, and that only from Jim's email. I
>>> haven't received any notification about Jim's appointment prior to
>>> yesterday, although, to be fair, I knew about it at the beginning of
>>> May, because I read the ASF Board Minutes. Again, why wasn't there any
>>> notification of this change?
>>
>> I read about it in the e-mail entitled 'ASF Board Meeting Summary - April 18, 2012'.
I don't normally read the meeting minutes, but I figured something was coming given the kerfuffle
over the lack of a March status report (all of which was discussed on the @private list).

> Yes, I think that's how I learned about it too. But I generally don't
> read Board Minutes, so the fact that I learned about this change was
> entirely by accident.

Doug submitted his notice to the PMC directly. In general, the
Chair is a PMC-related issue and should have no impact on the
dev community at all.

> I also believe that having a sudden PMC Chair change is an important
> enough event that it warrants an email sent to dev@, announcing the
> change. A three line email announcing the change isn't really that
> much to ask of the ASF Board. In my experience, and generally
> speaking, developers like knowing who is the new Boss.
>
>>> 4. The nightly build emails, which had restarted towards the end of
>>> February/beginning of March, have stopped. Why is that?
>>
>> It looks like the February builds were kicked off manually by Farid. I'm not sure
if the build system is configured to poll svn automatically or not, but the last submit to
stdcxx was on 2/20, so there has been no need to do any builds since that time.