From Martin Sebor <mse...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website Layout
Date Sun, 17 Aug 2008 01:41:02 GMT
Gavin wrote:

> [...]

I'm not sure I understand correctly what exactly you mean but
why don't we give it a try? If it doesn't work I'm sure we'll
find out ;-)

>> Just to recap, you should put those sources in /site/forrest/ and the
>> generated html should end up /site/deploy/ or whatever names you want to
>> call them.
>
> Well, as an update on the infra thread, it has revealed some sites deploy
> directly to their /www/$tlp.a.o/ directly. Joes has agreed to relax policy
> and allow this to continue. It also looks like (if volunteers emerge I
> guess) that a zone may eventually happen for projects to build sites on,
> before deploying to /www/$tlp.a.o/

I saw Joe's response and was going to follow up -- you beat me
to it :) I've never worked on these zones so I have no idea how
easy it will be to generate the docs there and then move them
over to people.a.o.

> So, as it stands then, currently you still have to build offline, but you
> can then deploy your generated docs directly if you wish. It is worth
> reading the latest posts in the thread, especially Roys comments on why it
> is still good to deploy to svn and keep your published site files versioned.

In case someone hijacks the site.

FWIW, my biggest concern is having to manually generate the docs.
I tend to work on different servers with no Forrest or even Java
installed. Having to remember to go to a machine with the software
installed, set it all up (it's never set up by default), then run
the tool, and only then check the output in is a hassle I'd like
to avoid. Ideally, I was hoping to take this step out of the
equation for everyone by automating it on the ASF side. If that
can't be done for administrative or technical reasons I might
set it up on one of our servers instead, and either commit the
generated HTML automatically, or scp them to their destination
on people.a.o. I've seen objections to the former approach on
infra. The latter seems like a cleaner approach (no need to
check in generated files), but it's vulnerable to the problem
Roy points out. It doesn't seem like a solution that will make
everyone happy exists. No matter which we choose, it will be
a compromise...

Martin