From "Gavin" <ga...@16degrees.com.au>
Subject RE: Website Layout
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:41:10 GMT

I understand that.

> Do you happen to know the other projects' rationale for checking
> the generated sites into Subversion instead of generating their
> sites directly on people.a.o?

Yes, Infra Policy.

It seems that since the site is
> generated from sources that already are in Subversion there
> should be no reason to version the generated HTML as well, and
> being able to update the site without having to have Forrest
> install seems like a significant advantage. But given that most
> other projects do it differently I suspect I must be missing
> some significant disadvantages of the "simpler" approach. Is
> there concern with the overhead o projects running Forrest too
> often?

Imagine 200+ projects all building their sites with
forrest/maven/anakia/whatever on p.a.o , all no doubt installing their own
copy too. The overhead would be massive if it were allowed.

Also, generated docs I guess are still files produced by ASF projects, they
would also differ in their content and structure to the source files. As
such having the history would be a benefit.

I'm just guessing at that last bit, what I do know is that infra currently
insists that
a) no projects to run builds on infra,
b) generated site docs are to be in svn.

So, unless you can change that, and perhaps until that infra thread produces
something - join in as a usecase if you think it worthwile, then I'd go with
my suggestion.

Those that don't contribute to the website docs wont need forrest.

fwiw if you used Maven or any other build tool you'd be in the same
situation.

> FWIW, the way I originally set up this project was to generate
> the Forrest site in:
>    http://people.apache.org/~sebor/stdcxx/forrest-site/
>
> The cron job that does the updating is in:
>    /people.apache.org:/home/sebor/bin/update-site.sh

Well, I'm not saying remove it , but ...

At the end of the day, I've made my recommendation, its up to you guys how
you want to proceed.

I have Forrest installed of course so there is no problem with me applying
doc patches and generating the site, if one or two others are happy to have
Forrest on their systems locally, then we don't really have a problem.

Gav...