From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r656686 - in /stdcxx/branches/4.2.x/tests: include/rw_printf.h src/printf.h
Date Mon, 19 May 2008 23:26:08 GMT
Eric Lemings wrote:

> [...]

You did say something like that but you still haven't explained
what you plan to do about the two sections. I personally don't
have strong preference for where the directives are documented
just as long as they're all in one place.

[...]
> Could whip up a script run by cron job that publishes the online
> documentation generated using the doc target from a snapshot of a
> Subversion branch.  Wouldn't be hard.
>
> Hypothetical script and usage:
>
> gendocs http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/stdcxx/branches/4.2.x/ \
>     http://stdcxx.apache.org/doc/html

Yes. We have three scripts like that already. One for our
current site (including the Class Reference and User Guide),
another for the Forrest prototype of the site, and a third
for the nightly build results. So writing a new one isn't
the most difficult or time-consuming part. Here's what's
involved:

1. Decide on a good location for the generated docs on our
    site.
2. Decide whether to generate the docs on people.apache.org
    or somewhere else.
    2.1  If the former, install Doxygen and any dependencies
         on the server (I don't know what they are or if they
         are already installed).
    2.2  If the latter, decide where and on the method of
         delivery (check the generated docs in Subversion
         or just scp them into their destination from the
         remote server?)
3. Set up a cron job to periodically regenerate the docs
    (ideally only after changes to sources).
4. Modify the existing site to link to the new docs.

> I'm not sure how the scripts that publish test results work but
> I'm guessing they run locally on the STDCXX web server?  In any
> case, the docs and test results would probably be published in
> similar fashion.

Right. I should document it... The script that does this is
~sebor/bin/mkxviews. It works roughly like so:

   for each stdcxx source tree st; do
     check out $st into $HOME/stdcxx/$st
     run $HOME/stdcxx/$st/bin/genxviews
       writing results into /www/stdcxx.apache.org/builds/$st
     done

I should move the script to /www/stdcxx.apache.org/bin so
that any stdcxx committer can administer it. I should also
modify it so that anyone and everyone can set up their own
cron job to run the script without overwriting anyone else's
results and without doing unnecessary work.

Martin